Friday, July 29, 2011

Suspending Judgment: Respecting Client Autonomy

I recently met with a couple. They came to see me at one partner's request - Partner A desperately wanted to get out of their marriage, while Partner B was in total denial that A really wanted to leave them. Over the course of our meeting, I witnessed A's extreme distress, and B's repeated attempts to emotionally manipulate A into staying with B, despite A's stated misery.

We met for two hours, at the end of which I thought B was starting to understand A's perspective. We set a meeting time for two weeks later. The next week, I received a short email from A telling me that they were getting back together. My initial reaction was shock. It was all I could do to keep myself from calling A to ask what had changed their mind so completely, but I forced myself to sit still and respect A's stated wishes. I wrote back, wishing A the best of luck.

As a mediator, this was an extremely difficult action of restraint, and another excellent reminder that I must table my own judgments in order to better serve my clients. I met with this couple for several hours. They had a much deeper insight into their internal dynamic than I could ever have. What looked like emotional abuse to me may not have been that at all. On the other hand, it may have been exactly that.

However, I need to afford A the respect they deserve as a competent adult to make their own decisions, without my own assessment of the situation clouding any outcome. As a mediator, I'm not pushing any agenda (certainly not my own), and I can't facilitate a conversation that the parties do not want to have. I sincerely wished them the best of luck with their marriage, and I did so with a clear conscience, knowing that I did not allow my judgments to stand in their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment